Is your BlackBerry battery dead?

BlackBerryInsight Hardware Store
We all know the BlackBerry has the best battery of all mobile devices! But let’s be realistic: This battery might die some day too.

I did some research and figured out that I am not that paranoid I thought I was. Some people really have problems with their battery sometimes and I am here to help. But be aware! I am not as selfless as it seems I am. I am also writing this down for myself so I can review it once I am in the situation I need a new battery. :)

So what would I do once my battery went dead? First of all I will need a new one. That’s why we have created that category for your (and me) to easily find BlackBerry batteries. I suggest to browse a bit and find one that meets your needs and those of your BlackBerry. You can take a look at: BlackBerryInsight’s recommended BlackBerry batteries.

Once you have ordered a new battery – which will need some time and that’s why you should do that first – you can start thinking about your data on your BlackBerry. OK, usually your data should not be affected by replacing the battery as long as you do not damage anything. But who knows. Sometimes some unexpected things might happen and we will have something like a BlackBerry-Data-WCS. So to prevent this you should backup your data. (Just by the way: you should do that periodically!) After you backuped your data and the battery arrived at your place you can replace the old one.

But to prevent your BlackBerry’s battery from suffering you can take a look at the following:

1. Charge and discharge a new battery for at least 3 times
  2. Li-Ion batteries can and should be charged every time you are near your power plug
  3. Do not use programs that run in background and so cause battery drain
  4. You’re not using Bluetooth? Turn it off!
  5. Save battery by restricting blacklight usage
  6. Boost your default battery with an extended one
  7. CDMA and iDEN BlackBerry devices need more battery that GSM/GPRS models; them if you consider to buy a BlackBerry
  8. Have an emergency battery in your car or purse like the one on the right
  9. Try to avoid phone calls in areas with bad network coverage/quality
  10. Once your battery’s performance went too bad replace it before it is too late
  11. Always have the most current BlackBerry OS running as there might be some optimizations made by RIM to boost the battery lifetime

You can also use the BBBatteryWatch to keep an eye on your battery state. It even shows you if something changes in the battery’s voltage which is an evidence that there is something wrong with your battery. However, no one is aware of a battery death. Like a great man once said: “You can be afraid but you should not get frightened once it happens.” (loosely translated).

Want to save battery? Check out BatteryBooster!

References:

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Is your BlackBerry battery dead?”

1. [...] Today, 05:02 AM I have had my 8120 on Orange since Monday and the battery has been fine so far , I am currently trying to discharge the battery till the 8120 turns off, as in the guides i link below. OEM = ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER in this case BLACKBERRY http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene…lackberry.html Is your BlackBerry battery dead? | BlackBerryInsight [...]

2. Maddie says:

Hello, Well just how long do you think an average Blackberry battery should last?? When should i get it replaced/ a new one?
    Thanks!

3. Ramshid says:

I have got a problem with my bb 8310 battery.When i switch on the bb its showing a batery icon with a red line as cross on it.I had tried with amother battery its the same.Can anybody suggest some solutions .

4. Tod says:

I’m having the same problem Ramshid, when you find the cure, please let me know…

5. JanRose says:

Hi, I just purchased a second hand Blackberry Pearl 8130. I went to charge the battery…at first the red indicator light comes on. Stays on for about a min, and then the screen comes on showing a battery icon with a blue lightening bolt (jagged) through the middle. What does this mean please? I tried to locate it in the manual, but was unsuccessful. Feel free to email me, and Thank you Much! (121909)

6. trevor says:

i have a blackberry where the same battery icon with the blue lightning bolt appears??????????

7. Shelly says:

My issue is I plug the charger in, the light lights up it’s working but it does not charge the battery. the charging icon does not kick in and the battery does not charge. Help?

8. Hbuckleyiam says:

My blackberry will not turn on it just comes up with a battery sign with a red cross through the middle what does that mean?

9. koolkidd says:

means your battery is no longer functional or its not being detected…replace your battery

10. Nerville says:

Hi People…
    My blackberry Tour 9630 wont charge. when i try to charge, i get an empty battery sign on the screen with a Red Cross. What does that mean?

11. Nerville says:

Hi People…

12. Shanawaz_afzal says:

13. Mattiealexis13 says:

same with mine! i dont know what do to i am freaking out! did yours ever turn on or did you have to buy a new battery please help meee! email me back mattiealexis13@yahoo.com

14. Mattiealexis13 says:

15. Vgwnewyork says:

I have a problem with my blackberry. It is dead. When I plug it in to recharge a battery icon with a yellow lightening bolt appears on the screen. What is problem?

16. L-ackers says:

i’m have the same problem with my blackberry. did you buy a new battery