I did some research and figured out that I am not that paranoid I thought I was. Some people really have problems with their battery sometimes and I am here to help. But be aware! I am not as selfless as it seems I am. I am also writing this down for myself so I can review it once I am in the situation I need a new battery.
So what would I do once my battery went dead? First of all I will need a new one. That’s why we have created that category for your (and me) to easily find BlackBerry batteries. I suggest to browse a bit and find one that meets your needs and those of your BlackBerry. You can take a look at: BlackBerryInsight’s recommended BlackBerry batteries.
Once you have ordered a new battery – which will need some time and that’s why you should do that first – you can start thinking about your data on your BlackBerry. OK, usually your data should not be affected by replacing the battery as long as you do not damage anything. But who knows. Sometimes some unexpected things might happen and we will have something like a BlackBerry-Data-WCS. So to prevent this you should backup your data. (Just by the way: you should do that periodically!) After you backuped your data and the battery arrived at your place you can replace the old one.
- Charge and discharge a new battery for at least 3 times
- Li-Ion batteries can and should be charged every time you are near your power plug
- Do not use programs that run in background and so cause battery drain
- You’re not using Bluetooth? Turn it off!
- Save battery by restricting blacklight usage
- Boost your default battery with an extended one
- CDMA and iDEN BlackBerry devices need more battery that GSM/GPRS models; them if you consider to buy a BlackBerry
- Have an emergency battery in your car or purse like the one on the right
- Try to avoid phone calls in areas with bad network coverage/quality
- Once your battery’s performance went too bad replace it before it is too late
- Always have the most current BlackBerry OS running as there might be some optimizations made by RIM to boost the battery lifetime
You can also use the BBBatteryWatch to keep an eye on your battery state. It even shows you if something changes in the battery’s voltage which is an evidence that there is something wrong with your battery. However, no one is aware of a battery death. Like a great man once said: “You can be afraid but you should not get frightened once it happens.” (loosely translated).
Want to save battery? Check out BatteryBooster!