*UPDATE*: This article has been updated. You may find the latest version in the How To: Get Started With BlackBerry Desktop Manager article series.
Note: If you have a Mac OS X / Macintosh machine you should take a look to How to synchronize my BlackBerry with my Desktop Computer (Mac OS X).
Synchronizing your BlackBerry with your desktop computer is a must! It just works incredibly fine and is easy going to set up. This article is meant to help you to get this working. If you have already set it up and you think it is fine you can just skip this article. But if you are not sure your setting is correct – but it is working actually – you should keep reading and check whether you have set it up right.
We wil cover the following parts of your BlackBerry and desktop application for synchronization:
- Address Book
Please keep in mind that we are not covering the synchronization of E-Mails in this article. We will do so later I guess. The setup that is used for this presention is as followed:
- BlackBerry Pearl (BlackBerry OS 4.2 from HKCSL)
- BlackBerry Desktop Manager 220.127.116.11
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Desktop Computer
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Enterprise Edition
You can use this procedure for your setup as well. E.g. you are using another BlackBerry model (72xx, 87xx or 71xx) the setup is the nearly the same. To get your computer’s data synchronized with your BlackBerry and vice versa proceed as followed:
- Be sure you have the BlackBerry Desktop Software installed on your desktop computer already.
- Start the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Connect your BlackBerry with your computer via USB.
- Click on Synchronize.
- Activate the Synchronize organizer data checkbox.
- Click on the Configuration tab and click on the Configure synch… button.
- Select all data checkboxes you want your BlackBerry being synchronized to.
- By selecting the data you have to select the program that stores your data on your desktop computer. As I am using Outlook from Microsoft I have selected this program. But you can select another one as well. It just depends on the program you are running.
- That’s it. Now go back and you can select the Synchronize now button at the synchronize dialog.
- If you want your BlackBerry being synchronized every time you connect it to your desktop computer you better select Synchronize the items selected above… checkbox.
Hint: The program on the right – NextAction! – is compatible with PocketMac and therefor with all applications PocketMac can synchronize your BlackBerry with. It is world’s best GTD application for BlackBerry® Wireless Handhelds!